Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Frozen Cilantro Lime Salsa Bombs



 
The cilantro in the garden was ready to harvest before the tomatoes. My husband, son and oldest daughter love my homemade salsa. They have been known to devour a whole bowl within a very short amount of time.

In order to preserve the cilantro, until the tomatoes are ripe and for use during the next few months, I decided to make freezer cubes. Let's just call them "Frozen Cilantro Lime Salsa Bombs".



I love retro appliances.

This is fairly easy and I do not even bother with measuring anything.
You can wash and dry the cilantro then add to blender. I just shake mine out really well from the garden and check for and discard any creepy crawlies.
You can use fresh or packaged lime juice. Just squeeze in a generous amount. Less or more depending on how much you like lime.
A splash or two of rice wine vinegar.
A splash or two of Olive, Coconut or Avocado oil.
A few dashes of sea salt or pink salt.

Use enough water to get the blender going well and the cilantro is shredded.
 I use the popsicle size for salsa and the smaller cubes for smaller projects like taco meat or taco soup.


 

 
Try it for yourself and let me know what you think!


3 comments:

  1. I don't care for cilantro--would it work for basil?? Would love "fresh" basil in the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, any herb pretty much. You could do mostly all oil for your liquid too if using for pesto or tomato sauce. Lemon would be better than lime maybe if you are making it like this. You can do just basil and water. I like to add the lemon and vinegar if you want to keep it longer. Will last like 3 to 4 months w/o lemon and vinegar, usually 6 to 9 with. If using herbs from store, blanche for about 15-20 seconds. I like to Store in glass canning jars with the white plastic lids in the freezer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super idea & they look so fresh!

    ReplyDelete