Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Sinus Headache, Snicker Doodles, and Soup (Potato)

What do you do when you are a stay at home mom with a sinus headache, two rambunctious girls, and a rainy day?  #1. You need to find a way to keep them busy without them arguing, which leads to three year old high pitched temper tantrums!

My solution:  The Kitchen!

Not only do I have nice bar stools to sit at while I supervise and help, but the wonderful smells, (aside from one tray of cookies getting burnt) and warm vapors from the oven and stove top have made my headache less painful.

This time of year always find me craving cinnamon and potatoes!  Especially cinnamon, when I don't feel well or have been stressing out.  The past few weeks have been weary trying to battle the County and Bank.   One of my grandmothers mailed me a classic 1985 Betty Crocker Cookie Book a few weeks ago and today was a good day to use it.  Of course, I tailor and tweak almost all recipes I try to my own taste buds, but today I only added some vanilla extract to this Snicker Doodle Recipe.

 
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees and Cream together until slightly fluffy:
 
1 1/2 Cups sugar
1 Cup butter (or you can use half butter and shortening)
2 Eggs
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
 
Mix in:
 
2 3/4 Cup flour
2 teaspoons cream of tarter
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
 
Form 1 inch balls and roll into a bowl with:
 
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
 
Bake for 8 to 9 minutes, remove from oven and put on a cooling rack after two minutes. ENJOY!
 

Potato soup



 
Picture is before I added the liquids
 
 1. Cut up 1/2 pound of bacon into 1 inch pieces and sauté in soup pot until almost crisp.
2. While the bacon is cooking,  Cut up 1 large carrot into small coin pieces and dice three stalks of celery. Sauté with bacon until soft and bacon is nice and crisp.
3. Cut up 4 medium to large potatoes.  I like to dice one potato smaller than the rest to help with thickening add to pot.
4.  Add one 32 oz. chicken broth and enough water to just cover your other ingredients.  You can use all chicken broth if you want.
5. Add 1 Tablespoon dill  and parsley if you like and salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer on medium -high for approximately 25 minutes and potatoes are well cooked and very soft. I also like to add in two teaspoons of smoked paprika.
6. Add 1 cup of cream (whole milk, half and half or whipping)
7. Now if you want a creamer  soup still,  you can use an immersion blender to thicken it up or add a mixture of cream and flour.
Enjoy
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment